Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Technical Questions re Skips

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
JohnnyMagenta (David I.)

Subject: Technical Questions re Skips
Date Posted: 2/5/2010 10:11 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I received a CD that looked fine to the eye.  So I did what I always do, which is to indicate "no problem" on the SACD system, and then download the CD to my iTunes library.  I later found a skip in the very last one out of the 15 tracks on the CD.  So wwo questions: 

(1) Can someone please tell me how on the SACD website I can go back and change "no problem" to "problem"?  I've alreay looked for a way but can't find it.   

(2) If the SACD system does not allow me go back and change "no problem" to "problem", then can I at least do what I always do with all the CDs that I receive from SACD (and download to my iTunes), which is to turn the CD back around and post it as available again to other members.  I know SACD rules say you can't post a CD with any skips, but can I do so if I also post a note informing members in advance that there's a skip in track 15? 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  Cheers!  Johnny Magenta

tompee (Tompee Z.)

Date Posted: 2/6/2010 3:01 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

no on both counts, sorry

RandyJ (Randall J.)

Date Posted: 2/10/2010 11:02 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I had a similar issue with a cd that looked fine but skipped when playing.  You can contact SACD report, they're pretty good about things like this. 

I would advise if you want to send it back out, post it in the bazaar forum.  That way anyone who would be requesting it knows upfront that the last track skips.  Just my 2 cents though.

bossajake (Patrick J.)

Date Posted: 2/11/2010 3:13 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

1. contact the site guys through feedback, they may be able to help

2. never post a disc that skips - period.

i've made the same mistake by marking a few discs that looked pretty good as playble only to find out later that they had a slight skip on them.  i let the site guys know about my mistake and they corrected it for me.  not sure what the actual policy is on this but they really do seem to bend over backwards to help members out.

good luck     patrick

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 2/11/2010 5:53 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Take it as a lesson for the future and delay a day marking it received until you've listened to it.   You made a mistake, fortunately a fairly small one.

You certainly cannot pass on your mistake to someone else.  It sucks you got a CD that skips, but you would be way out of line to pass on a CD you now know is bad.

You also should not be putting them in iTunes and then relisting them, tis not legal

JohnnyMagenta (David I.)

Date Posted: 2/11/2010 6:36 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks to all of you for your various answers.  Lesson learned.  I'll just delay marking CDs received.  Interesting about how it's not legal to put my own CDs on my own iTunes.  I thought that's what iTunes was for, putting your own CDs on there.  Cheers!

Advertisement (Bret H.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2010 8:15 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Putting your own CDs on, sure.  Keeping music on your iTunes when you no longer have the CD because you traded it to someone else, no.

Last Edited on: 2/13/10 8:15 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Wasabi (Phil S.)

Date Posted: 3/20/2010 5:09 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

If both the following are true:

1) You can honestly say that the CD looks perfect on both sides (an unscratched label side is far far far more important than the bottom side)

and

2) Your determination that there is a skip comes solely from listening to the ripped version after importing the CD into iTunes

then list it again.

iTunes is not exactly top of the line software for getting a good rip out of a CD, and there are plenty of other variables at play in your computer that could have caused a skip.

If the CD is truly clean and scratch-free on both sides, you might want to try ripping with Exact Audio Copy or dBpoweramp, or even a different optical drive if that's an option. If you can get a good rip without jumping through too many hoops, it's safe to say the next recipient should also be able to.